- Be sure to cut your toddler's food into small pieces.
- Avoid small, round or hard foods that can get lodged in young children’s throats, like hot dogs, cheese sticks, nuts or grapes, until they are 4 years old.
- Always supervise mealtimes and snacktimes.
- Have young kids eat in a highchair or at the table whenever possible. Explain that they should never run, walk, play or lie down when they have food in their mouths.
- Prevent kids from eating in the car, as they are at greater risk for choking, and they may be hard to get to in the case of an emergency.